36: China's Global Power Database: China's global power plant investments data at your fingertips!
10.28.2020 - By The Belt and Road Podcast
China is a leader in global power generation - both through fossil fuel and clean energy technologies. Chinese capital has been involved in establishing at least 777 power plants across the world, providing 186.5 GW of power generation capacity. To track China's impact on global power generation, Boston University's Global China Initiative is launching "China's Global Power Database" which Erik & Juliet discuss with BU's Cecilia Han Springer and Ma Xinyue. This database tracks all the world's power plants financed by Chinese foreign direct investment and/or China's two global policy banks, the China Development Bank and the Export-Import Bank of China. The database is extensive, gets all the way down to plant level details, and is completely open source and publicly available.
Check out the China's Global Power Database for yourself: http://www.bu.edu/cgp/
And check out our recommendations:
1) Follow @ChinaCamMonitor for good updates on China in Cambodia
2) Fiona Apple's new album Fetch the Bolt Cutters
3) Americans: VOTE!
1) Listen to the Korean band: BTS
Cecilia Han Springer:
1) The Political Economy of the Chinese Coal Industry: Black Gold and Blood-Stained Coal by Tim Wright AND
2) FAIR BRI Dataset is forthcoming by the Global China Initiative, will cover the intersections between (see updates at bu.edu/gdp, subscribe to their newsletter, or follow on twitter @GDPC_BU)
1) Listen to BU Global China Initiative's weekly seminars on Wednesdays
2) Black China Caucus (@BLKChinaCaucus): a collaborative effort that strives to enhance the presences and participation of Black experts specializing in any aspect aiding in the comprehensive understanding of China. The mission of the BCC is accomplished by the active promotion of Black China specialists as well as the creation of targeted resources aimed at enhancing the professional development and advancement of Black practitioners in the China space.