Ep. 71: How Do We Escape the Autonomy Trap?
02.15.2021 - By Deep Questions with Cal Newport
Below are the questions covered in today's episode (with their timestamps). For instructions on submitting your own questions, go to calnewport.com/podcast.
DEEP DIVE: The Autonomy Trap [7:25]
- How do I focus when working on a distracting computer? [19:58]
- How do you maintain energy while increasing deep work? [23:34]
- Can the pomodoro technique help achieve deep work? [29:00]
- How can I time block when working with two kids in a small apartment? [31:29]
- Have I thought about updating my student books? [38:!7]
- Are project management tools like Basecamp just a fancier version oof email? [42:26]
- How can I integrate OmniFocus into daily, weekly, quarterly planned work schedules? [46:38]
- What about the social costs of missing invitations because you're not on social media? [55:09]
DEEP LIFE QUESTIONS
- How do I organize my life as a newly published author? [1:01:10]
- How do I balance rigor and accessibility in my non-fiction writing? [1:07:52]
- How young is too young for getting kids started on the deep life? [1:14:08]
Thanks to Jay Kerstens for the intro music.