Novel Coronavirus - Episode 71
02.05.2020 - By The Good GP
In this episode, WA Health experts Professor Paul Effler and Dr David Spiers discuss the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) and the current situation as at 4 February 2020.
In this podcast, the GoodGP explores the background on the coronavirus and the theories about how a virus such as this can start in the human population.
The podcast also covers:
• infectivity, transmissibility and severity
• what we can learn from the SARS and MERS virus and how this can help us
• prevention in Australia and what is happening to try and avoid an outbreak like in China
• what GPs should do if a patient phones concerned they may be infected
• masks, PPE and what is appropriate
• what GPs can do to protect themselves and their practices
Dr David Spiers, QEII Network Head of Department, Microbiology, PathWest
Professor Paul Effler, Senior Medical Advisor, Communicable Disease Control Directorate, Department of Health
Information correct as at 4 February 2020.
For up-to-date information in WA, visit: https://ww2.health.wa.gov.au/Articles/A_E/Coronavirus
For GPs across Australia, visit: https://www.racgp.org.au/coronavirus