The Science of Stretching (and Strength) with Jules Mitchell
07.30.2019 - By Yogaland Podcast
For our season two finale episode, we’re talking to Las Vegas-based yoga teacher and author Jules Mitchell. We dive deep into the biomechanics of yoga in this episode and talk about Jules’ new book, which is a comprehensive look at the science of stretching.
We can’t cover the whole book in this short format, but I think you’ll find the highlights are fascinating, thought provoking, and relevant to the broader discussions we’re having in the yoga community today.
We talk about:
* Why it was so important to Jules to define the anatomy terminology in her book (and why Jason tries to do the same thing in his trainings) + Why language is so important in the yoga room!
* She explains what compressive load and tensile load means for listeners
* Hypermobility, the pros and cons of passive stretching, and her recommendations for students who are really flexible. Plus, Jules shares why she cautions teachers against diagnosing students with hypermobility (what to do instead).
* The long-held myth that strong and flexible are opposite concepts
* Her thoughts on yoga as a lifelong practice and whether yogis should incorporate other types of movement and exercise into their routines
Show notes: http://www.jasonyoga.com/podcast/episode160
SHOUT-OUT TO OUR SPONSORS
Sweaty Betty is a woman-owned activewear company based in the U.K. Their clothing is made of great fabrics and are always a phenomenal fit. Plus, their original styles are really different from what you can get in the U.S. For 20% off your purchase of full priced items go to SweatyBetty.com/podcast and enter promo code YOGALAND now.
Women shouldn’t have to compromise when it comes to feminine products. And, with Lola, there are no compromises. Lola products are 100 percent natural, made of 100 percent organic cotton with no added chemicals, fragrances, synthetics, or dyes. Plus, they now offer new hypoallergenic cleansing wipes. Their online subscription service is fully customizable, so it’s one less thing to worry about. For 40 percent off all subscriptions, visit Mylola.com and enter code YOGALAND40 when you subscribe.
Offering Tree makes it easy to build your own yoga website in about 30 minutes. It includes class scheduling, appointment booking, online payments, email marketing, website analytics, and more. It’s fully customizable and all services are included so it’s easy to get your business up and running. For 20% off your first 6 months, visit OfferingTree.com/YOGALAND now.
Betabrand is an innovative brand of pants based right up the road from me in San Francisco. These dress yoga pants are made of a thicker, wrinkle-resistant fabric than yoga pants, so they are dressy enough for work, but are comfortable and stretchy enough for yoga class. They come in several different styles and colors so you’re sure to find a pair that suits your lifestyle and look. For get 20% off your dress pant yoga pants visit betabrand.com/yogaland today. For information regarding your data privacy, visit acast.com/privacy