NASA's two stuck astronauts are returning to Earth a little sooner than planned.
The space agency announced that SpaceX had switched capsules for the astronaut flights in order to bring Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams home in mid-March instead of late March or April. That decision shaved at least a couple of weeks off their prolonged stay at the International Space Station, which hit the eight-month mark a few weeks ago.
Human spaceflight is full of unexpected challenges, NASA's commercial crew program manager Steve Stich said in a statement.
The test pilots should have returned in June 2024 on Boeing's Starliner capsule after what should have been a weeklong flight demo. But the capsule had so much trouble getting to the space station that NASA decided to bring it back empty and reassigned the pair to SpaceX.
Then SpaceX delayed the launch of their replacements on a brand-new capsule that needed more prepping, which added more time to Wilmore and Williams' mission.
With even more work still anticipated for the new capsule, NASA opted for its next crew to fly up on an older capsule, with liftoff on March 12. This older capsule had already been assigned to a private crew awaiting launch this spring.
The private flight arranged by the Houston company Axiom Space, featuring astronauts from Poland, Hungary and India, was bumped and launched later to the space station, possibly still this spring.
NASA preferred having a new crew arrive before sending the old one back, in this case, Wilmore, Williams and two others up there since September. The new crew going up includes two NASA astronauts, as well as one from Japan and one from Russia.
NASA's latest change in plans had come a few weeks after the space agency said it was working expeditiously to bring back Wilmore and Williams as soon as possible. Just a day earlier, President Donald Trump and SpaceX's Elon Musk had vowed to accelerate the astronauts' return.
This article was provided by The Associated Press.