From Mendocino County Public Broadcasting, this is the KZYX News for Friday, Aug. 27. I’m Sonia Waraich.
The drought situation on the coast is getting worse. Elk, Irish Beach, Mendocino Unified School District and Westport said they will no longer sell water to haulers supplying homes and businesses in Mendocino, which rely on that water.
On Tuesday, the Mendocino County Board of Supervisors held a special meeting to talk about how to get water flowing from inland to the coast as soon as possible. The supervisors ended up voting to fund a water hauling program with just under $1 million of the PG&E disaster settlement funds.
That program will cover the cost of hauling water from Ukiah to the coast and it’s estimated to only cost residents 3 cents per gallon for the water and 24 cents per gallon for local hauling. In total, the program is expected to cost $3.84 million for four months.
County staff is seeking grant funding and other assistance from the state, which is expected to cover the cost of hauling the water long distance from Ukiah to the coast.
But that program only applies to water being bought for home use. So far, it seems like businesses are out of luck. They’d have to pay almost $1,000 more per truckload to cover the cost to haul the water from Ukiah.
1st District Supervisor Glenn McGourty abstained from the vote and said he didn’t feel comfortable using the PG&E money to fund the program.
“I’m very supportive of helping everybody on the coast. I just kind of feel like we could do this with a little bit more time. Maybe we don’t have a little bit more time, but that’s what my reluctance is. It just feels like we’re moving awful quick and unless everybody signs their agreement for PG&E money in blood, we want to make damn sure it gets paid back.”
At a meeting earlier this month, the supervisors held off on approving a list of projects to be funded by the disaster settlement. That’s because Potter and Redwood valley residents were upset that not enough money was going toward their community, which experienced the fire that led to the settlement funds.
At the start of the meeting, 5th District Supervisor Ted Williams suggested using the county’s transient occupancy tax revenue to jump start the program. The transient occupancy tax, also called the TOT, is collected anytime visitors stay overnight at hotels and other lodging in the county. The TOT is expected to bring in over $5 million this year, and 75% of that is generated on the coast.
And the coast is suffering the worst consequences of the drought right now. Ryan Rhoades, superintendent of Mendocino’s water district, said 25 wells went dry in the district last month, the highest number on record for any given month. And that’s out of 420 wells total.
“As you all know it’s a dire situation, but we’re teetering on catastrophic. Right now there is virtually no bulk water for sale on the coast. Residents and businesses are scared.”
County CEO Carmel Angelo said using the PG&E funds would be more expedient than using the TOT funds.
“Since 2017, I can tell you, that we diverted many, many resources, county resources, from other areas so that we could support Redwood Valley, Potter Valley and the fire region. And we would do that again and again and again, and most likely we will. This is a time when the town of Mendocino is in such a crisis – and the whole coast – and we do know that 75% of TOT comes from the coast. And so I respectfully request that this board really look at the item at hand in front of you. And I know you don’t want to use PG&E but the quickest way to get water to the town of Mendocino is with the item in front of you. That we would use PG&E money and that we would absolutely replace it – whether it’s grant dollars or TOT dollars.”
That seemed to convince most of the supervisors to change their positions. Supervisor Williams said the board needed to do whatever it could to get water to the coast right away.
“I mean seriously water needs to be flowing tomorrow or the next day, not a month out. We’re in bad shape today, but if you look at where the drought will be a month from now, we’re going to be in dire straits.”
But he said he was still concerned about how businesses would fare with no access to any kind of assistance from the government.
“It’s my understanding that we’re going to address the life safety, residential water concern and pass along the actual cost for commercial users. And it sounds like the actual cost may be $945 per truckload, which business has told us likely will not work. They will likely close their doors. Does the board see the need to have any sort of follow up or next steps on that item, how to save our local economy from what this sticker price will cost, or are we done?”
Supervisor McGourty suggested businesses take a look at some market-based solutions, like adding a water surcharge to their customers’ bills.
2nd District Supervisor Maureen Mulheren said businesses were coming out of a pandemic and doing the best they could to conserve in the face of the drought.
“I would like to see an opportunity, just as we had with COVID relief funds, to not only – COVID relief funds went to support tenants that were behind on their rent and they went to support landlords that also could not receive funds from their tenants. So for me, having some kind of opportunity for businesses to be reimbursed or grants based on occupancy, whatever that might look like, I think that is important.”
Mulheren added that it was just a matter of time before other parts of the county needed similar assistance.
For the KZYX News. I’m Sonia Waraich, a Report For America corps member. For all our local stories, with photos and more, visit KZYX.org. You can also subscribe to the KZYX News podcast where you get your podcasts.