Arthur Miller schools Pete Jansons again in "Art Class"
Here are Art's notes from the show:
With the 150th anniversary year of the Chicago Fire, in early October 1871. If you want to get a feel for pre-Fire Chicago’s north side of river garden estates district, destroyed the Fire, visit east Lake Forest along Deerpath and Sheridan.
The earliest institutional building is the March 1859 opened Academy boarding house, built by Sylvester Lind; by 1867 at least this was a private home, moved ca. 1869 to its current location, 725 N. Sheridan Rd. It was later modified ca. 1890 by J. W. Root (Burnham & Root) and by Frost & Granger 1907, but much in its pre-Civil War, pre-Fire condition.
More like that for 570 and 660 Sheridan, 644 E. Deerpath, 550 E. Deerpath with its stable now north of driveway on Presbyterian Church property. Also 797 Sheridan including 1859 first store, etc.
Lost, the summer 1871 hotel on the lake, now the location of the newly bought Schweppe house, the last diner served the Sunday night of the Fire. As early college building, 1876-77, it burned December 1877.
Many families made their way here after the Fire, notably the various Durand siblings in the grocery business. Also livery driver, Union soldier/veteran, and former slave Samuel Dent. Have an idea for a topic or guest? [email protected]
Want to buy us a beer? Well, ok! https://www.patreon.com/LakeForestPodcast