Kraftwerk's Remarkable Journey — And Where It Took Us
05.14.2020 - By All Songs Considered
On this edition of All Songs Considered, we take a musical journey honoring the genius of Kraftwerk's Florian Schneider, who died May 6, just a few days after turning 73.
The German electronic band was like no other in the 1970s, with their pulsing electronic music and songs about the intersection of man and machines. Music writer Geeta Dayal and I play the band's career-defining songs from this group, a foursome that influenced everyone from David Bowie to Prince and '80s new wave while laying the groundwork for electronica and EDM.
1. "Autobahn" from Autobahn (1974)
2. "Radioactivity" from Radio-Activity (1975)
3. "Trans-Europe Express" from Trans-Europe Express (1977)
4. "Neon Lights" from The Man-Machine (1978)
5. "Computer World" from Computer World (1981)
6. "Tour de France" single (1983)