This is the Catchup on 3 Things by The Indian Express and I'm Flora Swain.
Today is the 31st of March and here are the headlines.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis Monday said there is “no need to search” for Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s successor as he will continue to hold the top post again in 2029. The statement came in response to Shiv Sena (UBT) MP Sanjay Raut claim that the RSS is set to pick Modi’s successor. Earlier in the day, Raut said Modi’s visit to the RSS headquarters in Nagpur on Sunday was to convey the message to Sangh chief Mohan Bhagwat that he is retiring. “There is no need to search for his successor. He (Modi) is our leader and will continue,” Fadnavis said, speaking to reporters in Nagpur.
Kashmir’s chief priest Mirwaiz Umar Farooq Monday condemned the decision of the Valley authorities to “not allow” Eid prayers at the sacred spaces of Eidgah and Jama Masjid and said it showcases the “oppressive and authoritarian approach that prevails in Kashmir today”. In a video statement on the occasion of Eid-ul-Fitr, he also claimed that he has been placed under house arrest ahead of the prayers. “Eidgah and Jama Masjid belong to the people. Barring them from these sacred spaces even on Eid reflects an oppressive and authoritarian approach that prevails in Kashmir today,” Mirwaiz said in a post on X.
Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi has written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi condemning the Centre’s decision to permit offshore mining along the coasts of Kerala, Gujarat, and Andaman & Nicobar. Urging the government to cancel the tenders issued for the offshore mining blocks, Gandhi asserted that rigorous scientific studies must be undertaken to assess the environmental as well as socio-economic impact of offshore mining. “But most importantly, all stakeholders, especially our fisherfolk must be consulted before any major decision is taken. Their lives are intertwined with the fate of our oceans. Let us work collectively towards building a sustainable future for all,” the Congress leader has written in the letter.
US President Donald Trump has said that he is “very angry” and “pissed off” with Russian President Vladimir Putin after attempting to broker a ceasefire agreement between Russia and Ukraine, and said he would impose sanctions on buyers of Russian oil if he feels that the Kremlin is blocking the deal negotiation.
Citing a telephone interview with NBC News, it’s reported that Trump was angry with Putin after he raised doubts over the credibility of Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s leadership last week. The US president even threatened to impose a 50% tariff on countries buying Russian oil if Putin doesn’t agree to a ceasefire deal. Trump’s frustration grew due to a lack of movement in the Russia-Ukraine ceasefire agreement, as he said that he could impose new trade restrictions on Russia within a month. The war began in February 2022 when Russia invaded Ukraine.
Iran’s President Masoud Pezeshkian on Sunday rejected direct negotiations with the United States over the nuclear program, offering Tehran’s first response to President Donald Trump’s explosive letter wherein he threatened to bomb Iran if it doesn’t negotiate over the nuclear deal. President Pezeshkian said that the response of Iran via the sultanate of Oman still has the possibility of indirect negotiations with Washington. During Trump’s first term in 2018, he had unilaterally withdrawn America from Tehran’s nuclear deal with world powers. “We don’t avoid talks; it’s the breach of promises that has caused issues for us so far. They must prove that they can build trust,” Pezeshkian said. The US State Department, in its response to President Pezeshkian, stated that America cannot allow Iran to acquire a nuclear weapon.
That's all for the today. This was the CatchuUp on 3 Things by The Indian Express.