Minister of Police Bheki Cele revealed on Friday that 6 945 people were murdered in South Africa between July 1 and September 30, and expressed outrage that out of that figure, 881 people were women and 293 were children.
He said the violence against women and children was shameful, as he announced the 0.8% drop in the murder rate, from the quarterly crime statistics.
He believes that incorporating communities and non-government organisations is vital in reducing crime in the country, as the police cannot win alone.
The crime statistics also pointed out that 35 police officers were killed on and off duty in the three-month period, as were 19 law enforcement officers attached to national, provincial and local government and private security.
Cele said it remained encouraging that the KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) and Limpopo provinces reported double-digit percentage decreases in their murder rates "despite KZN experiencing numerous mass shootings, claiming three or more lives at a time".
The Minister said while the Inanda and Umlazi police stations, which had previously reported the highest murders in the country, were still leading in this crime, they had reported decreases in murders.
The Eastern and Northern Cape provinces also saw slight drops in incidents of murder during the reporting period, despite the Eastern Cape recording multiple shooting incidents, fuelled by drug- and vigilante-related motives.
Mpumalanga, Gauteng, the Western Cape, Free State and the North West recorded increases in murders.
GENDER-BASED VIOLENCE
As the country observes 16 days of activism against gender-based violence (GBV), Cele said the ministry was motivated by the South African Police Service's (Saps') continued successes in bringing to book GBV and femicide perpetrators.
This includes the recent identification and takedown of 27 sexual predators in the country.
"In October we saw the sentencing of Mario Giusti, sentenced to 6 400 years in jail, found guilty of more than 1 000 charges of child pornography. It is clear, attacks and violence meted out on women, children, the elderly and the most vulnerable in this country, remains shameful," said Cele.
The Minister reiterated that the scourge of violence against women and children in South Africa must be confronted head-on and equally by law enforcement and the whole of government and society.
He reported that the Saps continues to upscale its responses to these forms of crimes through increased operations to trace GBV perpetrators, and arrest serial offenders as well as serial rapists.
Cele also said as part of some of the crime prevention programmes carried out by the police service, dialogues in various communities, targeting men, who are the main GBV perpetrators by far, are taking place.
"We support a similar continental programme targeting men around the issue of GBV. The African Men Conference hosted by the African Union will take place in South Africa on the 27th to the 28th of November 2023," he said.
RAPE
The Minister said 10 516 rape incidents were reported to the Saps between July to September this year.
Of that, 4 726 rape incidents took place either at the home of the rape victim or at the home of the perpetrator, who was usually a family member, a friend or a neighbour.
Cele said the police stations delivered victim-centered services to victims of sexual violence and he added that the continued availability of evidence collection kits, or so called 'Rape Kits', has been well-managed, including the improvement of support services at stations for survivors of sexual violence.
On the historic DNA backlog, which was standing at over 240 000 two years ago, Cele said it had now been cleared.
"Saps forensic laboratories across the country continue to work optimally and relevant contracts crucial for the functioning of labs are in place. The consumables essential for the processing of samples continue to be procured. These policy interventions are coupled with functioning of GBV desks at poli...