每天,你会花多少时间照镜子?照镜子的时候你在想些什么?让我们看看英国诗人托马斯•哈代的《对镜》,一起来体会一下诗人对镜时的所思所想。
I Look into My Glass 对镜
翻译 陈敬容
I look into my glass, 我对着我的明镜,
And view my wasting skin, 见自己形容憔悴,
And say, ‘Would God it came to pass 但愿上苍听从我祈请,
My heart had shrunk as thin!’ 让我的心也皱缩枯萎。
For then, I, undistrest 人们将对我日益冷淡,
By hearts grown cold to me, 到那时我也会不再介意,
Could lonely wait my endless rest 我会平静而坦然,
With equanimity. 等待着永恒安息。
But Time, to make me grieve, 可叹时间流去了一半,
Past steals, lets past abide; 却把另一半存起,
And shakes this fragile frame at eve 我这衰弱苍老的躯体内,
With throbbings of noontide. 却是盛年的心在颤悸。
在这首诗中,镜子这一平凡常见的东西赫然把人的灵魂和肉体分开:镜子里面是弱不禁风行将老去...