This is the Catchup on 3 Things by The Indian Express and I'm Ichha Sharma
Today is the 20th of March and here are the headlines.
Both Houses of Parliament were marred by protests staged by the DMK over the delimitation issue, with the presiding officers calling their behaviour unbecoming of the dignity of Parliament. Lok Sabha was adjourned within two minuates after it met at 11 am, as DMK MPs came wearing identical T-shirts as a mark of protest against the proposed delimitation. Speaker Om Birla said they cannot come to the House wearing T-shirts and protest in ways that lower the dignity of the House, and adjourned Lok Sabha till noon. The delimitation is expected after 2026 following the decennial census unless the Parliament extends the freeze yet again by amending the Constitution.
The Cyberabad police in Telangana booked 25 people on Sunday, including Tollywood actors and social media influencers, for allegedly promoting illegal betting, gambling and casino apps, causing financial losses to the public. Among the 25 named in the FIR are actors Rana Daggubati, Prakash Raj, Vijay Devarakonda, Manchu Lakshmi, Praneetha and Nidhi Agarwal. Named accused 1 and accused 2, Rana Daggubati and Prakash Raj are alleged to have promoted Junglee Rummy through pop-up ads. Vijay Devarakonda is accused of promoting A23 Rummy, Manchu Lakshmi Yolo247, Praneetha Fairplay Live, and Nidhi Agarwal Jeet Win, all by way of pop-up ads, the police said.
Billionaire Elon Musk’s social media platform X (formerly Twitter) has filed a lawsuit against the Central Government, challenging the creation of a “parallel” and “unlawful” content censorship regime through a provision under the Information Technology Act. In its petition filed in the Karnataka High Court earlier this month, the company has contended that through the use of Section 79(3)(b) of the Information Technology Act, 2000, multiple government departments and agencies are now issuing content takedown notices to social media companies like X, “attempting to bypass the multiple procedural safeguards” prescribed under Section 69A of the IT Act, which also allows for content blocking.
A jawan and 22 Maoists were killed in two encounters in Chhattisgarh’s Bastar region today. One encounter broke out at 7 am while security forces were undertaking an operation based on intelligence indicating the presence of Maoists in the jungles under the jurisdiction of Gangaloor police station in Bijapur district near the Dantewada border. The encounter involved intermittent firing for hours, said Sundarraj P, Inspector General of Police for Bastar Range. A jawan from the Bijapur District Reserves Guard (DRG) and 18 Maoists were killed in the firing. “We have recovered explosives and weapons. Search operations are going on,” the officer said.
An Indian researcher at Georgetown University, Badar Khan Suri, has been detained by US immigration authorities days after another Indian national’s student visa was cancelled over accusations of supporting Hamas. According to a report in Politico that cited court documents, the US government has accused Suri, an Indian national and postdoctoral fellow, of allegedly having connections with Hamas — a Palestinian group that the US and several other Western countries have designated as a terrorist organisation. This comes just days after the student visa of Columbia University student Ranjani Srinivasan was revoked by the Donald Trump administration.
This was the Catch Up on 3 Things by the Indian Express.