
Sign up to save your podcasts
Or


The UN peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, MONUSCO, says it is ready to support a ceasefire between the Congolese authorities and the M23 armed group, following an announcement by Qatar that it will deploy a first monitoring team under the Doha peace initiative.
M23, also known as the March 23 Movement, is an armed group operating in eastern DRC that has seized key towns, including Goma in January and Bukavu in February, fuelling renewed violence and displacement.
MONUSCO says the initial deployment will be limited to Uvira, in South Kivu, and will not mark a permanent return to the province, which the Mission left last year.
UN News’s Cristina Silveiro asked the mission’s spokesperson Ndeye Khady Lo whether the development should be seen as a positive signal for peace.
By United Nations4.7
66 ratings
The UN peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, MONUSCO, says it is ready to support a ceasefire between the Congolese authorities and the M23 armed group, following an announcement by Qatar that it will deploy a first monitoring team under the Doha peace initiative.
M23, also known as the March 23 Movement, is an armed group operating in eastern DRC that has seized key towns, including Goma in January and Bukavu in February, fuelling renewed violence and displacement.
MONUSCO says the initial deployment will be limited to Uvira, in South Kivu, and will not mark a permanent return to the province, which the Mission left last year.
UN News’s Cristina Silveiro asked the mission’s spokesperson Ndeye Khady Lo whether the development should be seen as a positive signal for peace.

7,763 Listeners

4,179 Listeners

14 Listeners

44 Listeners

6 Listeners

5 Listeners

95 Listeners

25 Listeners

9 Listeners

17 Listeners

4 Listeners

15 Listeners

8 Listeners

298 Listeners

370 Listeners

9 Listeners

4 Listeners

4 Listeners

0 Listeners

0 Listeners

0 Listeners

0 Listeners