
Sign up to save your podcasts
Or


Lawyers for Conor McGregor dramatically withdrew a bid to introduce new evidence in his civil rape case appeal. Evidence included allegations made by Samantha O'Reilly and Steven Cummins – former neighbours of Ms Nikita Hand.
Ms Hand’s counsel John Gordon said his side was in ‘shock’ at the late withdrawal of the fresh evidence application.
In her affidavit, Ms O’Reilly had claimed she was woken by sounds of “screaming and shouting” from Ms Hand’s house.
Looking from her window, she said she could see “Ste’s arms moving up and down as if he was hitting Nikita”.
“I also saw him moving his hips in a way that indicated to me that he was kicking her,” she claimed.
In an affidavit, Ms Hand dismissed this account. "My ex-partner Stephen Redmond [known as 'Ste'] did not assault me on the night of December 9/10, 2018, and never assaulted me in the course of our relationship, or since," she said. "I don't want to speculate on why Samantha and Steven are making up these lies."
Ms Hand’s counsel John Gordon said his side was in “shock” at the late withdrawal of the fresh evidence application.
He said it was "not appropriate" to dress up the withdrawal of the application in such a way.
The barrister said Ms Hand had been “put through the wringer” after the allegation, which she denounced as “lies”, was outlined in court and reported in the newspapers.
Today on the Indo Daily, Fionnán Sheahan is joined by Shane Phelan, Legal Affairs Editor with the Irish Independent, to unpack a busy opening day in Conor McGregor's civil rape appeal.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
By Irish Independent4.3
4545 ratings
Lawyers for Conor McGregor dramatically withdrew a bid to introduce new evidence in his civil rape case appeal. Evidence included allegations made by Samantha O'Reilly and Steven Cummins – former neighbours of Ms Nikita Hand.
Ms Hand’s counsel John Gordon said his side was in ‘shock’ at the late withdrawal of the fresh evidence application.
In her affidavit, Ms O’Reilly had claimed she was woken by sounds of “screaming and shouting” from Ms Hand’s house.
Looking from her window, she said she could see “Ste’s arms moving up and down as if he was hitting Nikita”.
“I also saw him moving his hips in a way that indicated to me that he was kicking her,” she claimed.
In an affidavit, Ms Hand dismissed this account. "My ex-partner Stephen Redmond [known as 'Ste'] did not assault me on the night of December 9/10, 2018, and never assaulted me in the course of our relationship, or since," she said. "I don't want to speculate on why Samantha and Steven are making up these lies."
Ms Hand’s counsel John Gordon said his side was in “shock” at the late withdrawal of the fresh evidence application.
He said it was "not appropriate" to dress up the withdrawal of the application in such a way.
The barrister said Ms Hand had been “put through the wringer” after the allegation, which she denounced as “lies”, was outlined in court and reported in the newspapers.
Today on the Indo Daily, Fionnán Sheahan is joined by Shane Phelan, Legal Affairs Editor with the Irish Independent, to unpack a busy opening day in Conor McGregor's civil rape appeal.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.

177 Listeners

60 Listeners

61 Listeners

143 Listeners

28 Listeners

57 Listeners

59 Listeners

15 Listeners

42 Listeners

89 Listeners

37 Listeners

261 Listeners

51 Listeners

45 Listeners

23 Listeners

107 Listeners

28 Listeners

4 Listeners

40 Listeners

53 Listeners

0 Listeners

1 Listeners

12 Listeners

99 Listeners