Look at that! We're in Suzhou!
快看我们在苏州
The best surprise.
最好的惊喜
Yeah, absolutely. Welcome to Potside Chats
没错欢迎收看《围炉漫话》
where we discuss all things China.
我们一起漫谈中国
In today's episode we're going to be discussing
本集我们将探讨
the ancient city of Suzhou.
古城苏州
Suzhou was founded in 6th century BC.
苏州始建于公元前6世纪
The city was ingeniously designed
这座城市设计精妙
with roads and canals running parallel to each other.
道路和运河彼此平行
This allowed for the ease of transport
这使得货物和人
of both goods and people throughout the city.
能轻松在城市中穿行
That coupled with its connection to the Grand Canal,
再加上它与大运河连接
which is the world's longest manmade canal
大运河是世界上最长的人造运河
running all the way to Beijing, some 1,800 kilometers.
一直延伸到北京长约1800公里
All of that made Suzhou a key trading hub
这些都使苏州在中国历史上
and economic powerhouse for much of China's history.
多数时间中是经济中心和主要贸易点
And that economic status
这种经济地位
was helped greatly by its most famous export,
很大程度上得益于其最著名的商品
silk embroidery.
丝绸刺绣
And I'm always curious
但我一直很好奇
how these more ancient art forms
这些古老技艺是如何
are preserving their tradition,
保持其传统
but also bringing it into the modern era.
与此同时又融入现代社会的
You have any idea on how Suzhou is navigating that issue?
你知道苏州是如何做到这点的吗
Not at all.
完全不知道
Okay.
好吧
Which is why I went
所以我去参观了
to the Yao Jianping Embroidery Art Brand Pavilion
姚建萍刺绣艺术馆
to meet with an expert
见了一位专家
who has a great idea how they've been doing that.
他很清楚他们是如何做到的
Perfect.
好极了
Hello Tao.
你好陈涛
Hello, Ryan, welcome.
瑞恩欢迎你
Thank you.
谢谢
This is gorgeous.
这太美了
Thank you.
谢谢
And obviously Suzhou embroidery is famous for its beauty.
苏绣以精美而闻名
But could you explain to me a bit
但你能否告诉我
why it is so precious to the people of Suzhou?
为什么它对苏州人来说如此重要吗
And why it is so highly regarded throughout the world?
为什么苏绣在全世界备受推崇
Of course.
当然
Suxiu(Suzhou Embroidery)has always been part of
苏绣自古以来就是
Suzhou's history.
苏州历史的一部分
It's organic silk.
它使用有机丝绸
That's why it has all these reflections.
所以会有各种颜色的反光
You could look at these silk yarns here.
你可以看看这里的丝线
We make this space very modernized
我们将这里设计为现代风格
also on the exhibition side,
在展览区域也是
and we also make courses
还提供刺绣课程
so younger people could actually get hands-on experience,
让年轻人能亲身体验
and get to know embroidery more.
让他们多了解苏绣
That's awesome.
太厉害了
Can you figure out how embroidery is infused in here?
你能看出刺绣是如何与这个产品融合的吗
People wouldn't think
按说人们会认为
watch could be combined together with embroidery.
手表无法与苏绣融合
That's why we need to go into the younger generations.
所以我们需要更年轻的头脑
We need to make design products.
我们需要设计产品
That's why we build a team of younger designers.
因此我们建立了一支年轻的设计师团队
Get into these traditional industries,
进入这些传统工业行业
to bridge the gap
弥合鸿沟
between the modern and the tradition products.
让现代和传统都融合进产品中去
That's incredible. Speaking on finances a little bit.
太绝妙了我们来谈谈经济方面
You've made such grand innovations to this art form.
你对这项传统艺术进行了大胆的创新
How was that then reflected in the market?
市场对此有什么反应
So in this space we are actually embracing the market
其实我们一直在与市场合作
where we were also seen by other industries and brands.
在其他行业和品牌中常常能见到我们的身影
We started making one of a kind
我们与其他公司合作
unique car interiors with other companies.
设计了一款独特的汽车内饰
We also started working together with
我们还与中国
the most popular game in China.
最流行的手游合作
And we did a character, Wang Zhaojun with them.
为其中一个角色王昭君设计了特别款皮肤
That's so awesome.
这太漂亮了
So Ryan this is
瑞恩这是我想
the last piece I wanted to show you.
给你介绍的最后一件绣品
So you know about bifacial embroidery.
你知道苏绣中有双面绣
Most of them two sides are the same, right?
通常这种刺绣两面是一样的花纹
Check this one out. We have these monkeys here.
看这个作品这一面是两只猴子
It has different shapes,
两面图案不同
different needlework and different colors on both sides.
针法不同而且颜色也不尽相同
Just like the city of Suzhou.
就像苏州这座城市
We have the super long ancient history
我们拥有漫长的历史
and then we have the modern side of the city.
但也拥有现代化的一面
Thank you so much for showing me this.
非常感谢你给我介绍这些
You're welcome, my pleasure.
不客气是我的荣幸
I think it's so incredible
这太了不起了
how Suxiu has maintained its vitality
苏绣这些年来
both in Suzhou culture and fashion
在苏州文化和时尚方面都保持着活力
throughout all these years.
在苏州文化和时尚方面都保持着活力
Yeah. I think they're a really good model
对我觉得苏绣在
of how to preserve the spirit of the culture.
如何保存文化精神方面做了良好表率
But I also feel that as tourists,
但作为游客来说
we're only getting like a slice of Suzhou.
我们只是浅尝苏州
Yeah.
对
But Ryan. I want the whole Suzhou pie.
瑞恩我想品尝完整的苏州盛宴
Help me get it!
帮帮我
OK, I was thinking the exact same thing.
我也正有此意
That's why I called up my buddy Marvin,
所以我联系了好友马文文
who's been living in Suzhou for years.
他在苏州居住多年
We're going to grab dinner with him
我们跟他一起吃晚餐
and see what it's like from his perspective.
看他是否有什么见解
That's great.
好极了
Marvin, it's great to see you.
马文文很高兴见到你