Ep. 101: Does Productivity Impede the Deep Life?
05.31.2021 - By Deep Questions with Cal Newport
Below are the questions covered in today's episode (with their timestamps). For instructions on submitting your own questions, go to calnewport.com/podcast.
DEEP WORK QUESTIONS
- Should I maintain a day free from all work? [3:55]
- How do I take notes on a Kindle? [9:06]
- How an I integrate accountability with my time-block planning? (Bonus rant on making workloads transparent.) [11:31]
- How do I avoid over-structuring my life as a student? [19:49]
- What is my (Cal) computer science research about? [21:35]
- What is the best productivity system for someone who manages hundreds of tasks across numerous projects? [25:26]
DEEP LIFE QUESTIONS
- How do you decide when to commit to a new role or project? [34:07
- Are my (Cal) ideas on passion in stark contrast to most philosophers? [39:44]
- Have I (Cal) started a new book yet? [44:25]
- Should I spend time on investing or my side project? [45:07]
- What is the role of productivity in the deep life? [51:19]
Thanks to Jay Kerstens for the intro music.